The folks at Defense and the National Interest
(DNI) have been kind enough to offer a block of seats to members of the
Small Wars Council community
of interest. Space is very limited -- so it's first come first serve -- and
the price is right -- free.
For those that wish to attend please contact Mr. Bob Howard at
The 2007 Boyd Conference
Friday, 13 July 2007
The Alfred M. Gray Research Center
Marine Corps Base
0800 - 0830: Welcoming and Opening Remarks.
0830 - 0930: Session 1
Boyd 102: Salient Points of Colonel John Boyd and Operating Inside the Observe,
Orient, Decide and Act (OODA) Loop.
Dr. Chet Richards (Colonel USAF Ret.) and Colonel Frans Osinga (PhD, Royal Netherlands
- What it means
- What it does to the opposition
- The type of organizational climate / culture needed to make it work
- Latest research into why it works
0930 - 1030: Session 2
Warfare since Boyd: Summary of Fourth Generation Warfare (4GW)
Colonel G. I. Wilson (USMC Ret.) and Panel
- "War on Terror"
- Iraq and Afghanistan
- Can we ever operate inside their OODA loops?
- Through a glass darkly (trends & forecasts)
1045 - 1130: Session 3
War in our future?
- Various interpretations: William Lind (crisis of legitimacy of the state),
Col. TX Hammes (evolved insurgency), FM 3-24 (international insurgency)
- Can these approaches be reconciled? (e.g., FMFM 1-A)
- Other possibilities (e.g., van Creveld's "non-trinitarian warfare")
- Critiques: Is it just guerrilla warfare under another name? Is it the same
- Is it really war?
1130 - 1300: Lunch Break
1300 - 1415: Session 4
Major Donald Vandergriff (USA Ret.): Adaptive leadership: training for adaptability
Colonel TX Hammes (USMC Ret.) and William Lind: 4GW and the future of warfare.
- Concepts of 4GW
- Is there a 5th Generation?
- Next steps in the "war on terror"
- Fallout from Iraq, Afghanistan, and Lebanon from the standpoint of 4GW
- Implications for the military (including intelligence) and the Department
Dr. Chet Richards and Colonel Frans Osinga: OODA Loops into the future - areas
for further research on Boyd.
1430 - 1530: Session 5
Senior Leaders' Critiques (Panel TBD): What I would have done (and would do)
1530 - 1600 (+/-): Session 6
Final Thoughts and Wrap-up (Speakers TBD)
1700 - ????: Further debate and deliberation at a watering hole to be
Speakers and Breakout Session Leaders Include:
Dr. Chet Richards, Colonel, USAF, Retired: Associate of Boyd's for roughly 20
years, and author of
Certain to Win, on applying Boyd's ideas to business. He will share some of
Colonel Boyd's ideas on the OODA loop that make it much more powerful than just
a simple cycle.
Colonel Gary I. Wilson USMC Retired: A primary co-author of "The
"Changing Face of War" in 1989 which
served as the genesis of debate and discussion on 4th Generation Warfare.
Colonel Frans Osinga, Ph.D., Royal Netherlands Air Force: Author of the new study
of the late Colonel John Boyd and his work
Science, Strategy and War: The Strategic Theory of John Boyd.
Colonel T. X. Hammes, USMC Retired: Author of
The Sling and the Stone, the first full length study of 4GW.
Major Don Vandergriff, USA Retired: Author of the new book on adaptive leadership,
Raising the Bar: Creating and Nurturing Adaptability to Deal with the Changing Face
William S. Lind, author of the
Maneuver Warfare Handbook, "Strategic
Defense Initiative," and co-author, with Colonel Wilson, et al., of "The
Changing Face of War."
We have a number of special guests who have tentatively accepted, including senior
officers who were associated with Colonel Boyd.