Kenyan Forces in Standoff With Militants After Attack on Hotel Complex by Matina Stevis-Gridneff – Wall Street Journal
Counterterrorism forces were locked in a standoff with suspected al-Shabaab militants in an upscale hotel and office complex in Kenya’s capital Wednesday, more than 16 hours after the deadly attack began.
In the early morning hours, about 100 people who had been holed up in bathrooms and offices were released from the 14 Riverside complex, a popular meeting spot for both international business travelers and local Kenyan elites.
Gunfire could still be heard and ambulances were rushing to and from the complex, which has been cordoned off by police.
A Kenyan police officer said 15 bodies have been taken to the morgue, the Associated Press reported. An American was among the dead, a U.S. official said.
Somali extremist group al-Shabaab claimed responsibility Tuesday for the attack and siege, which forced workers to hide under their desks or run for their lives in the middle of the afternoon…