Five Myths About Helping the Philippines by Jessica Alexander, Washington Post.
Hat Tip to Dave Maxwell who writes “Probably one of the best articles on aid I have read in a long time. Although focused on the Philippines it applies to nearly every humanitarian assistance and disaster relief situation.”
The Five Myths:
1. Locals in disaster areas wait for the international community to come save them.
2. Goods and services are “free” donations.
3. If aid agencies give affected people cash, they won’t spend it on the right things.
4. Earmarking donations guarantees that the money will be well spent.
5. Volunteers on the ground are always a help.
Read on for much more concerning the five myths.