Small Wars Journal publishes contributed content from serious, authentic voices from across the wide spectrum of participants and stakeholders in small wars. We welcome your submission of content suitable for our professional community. We will review what you submit and may publish original content as a guest post in the SWJ Blog or a Journal article; we also appreciate your assistance in pointing out relevant published works, news, and activities as we build a useful index of resources for practitioners.
- Original, unpublished works for publication in Small Wars Journal.
- Published works for inclusion in the Library.
- Current news items of interest.
- Event announcements.
Authors submitting their original, unpublished work for consideration for publication in SWJ should review this section closely; for submitting previously published works to our Library, see here.
Thanks for considering Small Wars Journal as an outlet for your work. We aim to provide a responsive publishing vehicle for thoughtful work to enable it to quickly reach the broad community of small wars stakeholders. We depend on the high quality of contributed content from motivated professionals.
For submissions of original works: if you agree with the provisions on this page, submit through this link or the one below (please see the checklist below for items to include). If you do not agree, don't submit your work; if in doubt, contact us on any nuances before submitting.
- We will consider your submission for publication in the SWJ Blog (short commentary, op-ed) or Small Wars Journal (longer articles, analysis, feature length work), as appropriate. Intermediate things like book reviews or shorter articles could go in either place at our discretion.
- We accept only ready-to-go original works. We screen them per our editorial policy. When we're convinced they're good, we publish them with no or minimal adjustments. Sometimes on the same day as receipt.
- DO NOT SEND US DRAFTS FOR COMMENT. If your draft is "good enough" it may get published as is. We don't want that to be a bad surprise.
- We try to make minor editorial corrections as we format the article for publishing, but regret we are not staffed for rigorous editing. Our target is authentic, really good, and right now. Unfortunately, the perfect has proven to be the enemy of the good, and we simply can't hunt for typos and grammar while great content languishes in our queue. If you're after perfect, please work with a good editor or proofreader before you submit to us.
- You understand, accept, and hopefully even relish the fact that your work will be exposed to a broad, spirited, and opinionated audience that will have no hesitation at all about making public their high praise or scathing criticism of your work; likely some of both.
- You represent and warrant that you are the sole copyright holder of the original work or are otherwise duly authorized to act irrevocably on behalf of the copyright holder(s).
- You grant us 30 days to decide whether or not we will publish your work, during which time you will not withdraw your submission. If, at our sole discretion, we choose to publish your work within those 30 days or prior to our acknowledgement of your withdrawal of the submission, you grant us, without any further action on your part than the initial submission, a worldwide, irrevocable, non-exclusive, transferrable right to use or to license to use your work in any way we deem appropriate.
- We will always identify you as the author of the work.
- We do not expect to make money on the publication of your work. From time to time we do collect some license fees or royalties for reuse of published works. When we do, our practice has been to share proceeds with the author(s) and we expect to continue to do so, but this is at our sole discretion.
- You retain copyright and are free to use your work or derivatives as you desire. If published with Small Wars Journal, we would appreciate you recognizing first publication in any future citations.
- Authors, by submitting their content, also consent to republication of their article or essay in topical Small Wars Journal Anthologies in print and electronic format.
If you agree with all that stuff, then submit your work for publication. Be sure to include:
- The original work in a format we can use. MS Word, rich text, etc. We can't easily pull from PDFs for reformatting, please send us the source.
- Your Byline as you would like it and a bio of a few sentences as you would like it to appear.
- If you have pictures, graphs, etc., we prefer that you embed them as you would like them to appear. You can also send us the originals as separate files.
- Any additional contact info besides your current email (for us, not for publication). In particular, a permanent email address if you have one.
- Is there anything interesting to say about the work? We can introduce things with an editor's note that may not be appropriate in the introduction to or body of the work. In particular, commentary with regard to the genesis of the work or initial reception of it, etc. are often useful to set a context for readers.
- For shorter works that reference documents available online, please use embedded hyperlinks to the maximum extent possible.
- If you have a Twitter account or a Facebook page that you will use to publicize the piece, please include that information so we can include your tags when we announce the piece via Twitter and Facebook.
You agree with the provisions on this page, including:
- You are able to grant us rights to the work. (6)
- You grant us those rights stated. (7-11)
- It is READY TO GO (2-4), it's good, you know it, and you're thick-skinned. (5)
- You've included the right stuff (document, bio, misc files, info) (A-G)
- Submit your original work via this link. Note this constitutes acceptance of the terms on this page.
You should hear a decision within 30. Please give us that long. But if you do not hear from us, feel free to poke us.
Note: this page will be revised for a more explicit, click-through submission agreement. In the interim, the email sent from the submit link above is implicit agreement to these terms.
If you see something published elsewhere of enduring value that should be referenced in our Library, please review these notes and contact us:
- Fleeting, news type items belong here.
- Unpublished, original works belong here.
For library items, stable links are preferred. Do not submit files (i.e. documents for hosting on SWJ) unless:
- You are the copyright holder and you are explicitly granting us irrevocable rehosting rights; OR
- The item is not restricted for distribution (e.g. public domain, unlimited distribution statement, etc.)
- Please search our site first to see if the item is already included.
To submit, send us a note, and please include as much of the following as you can:
- Link(s) or other source(s) for accessing the item. If the source is not a publicly accessible link, please comment.
- Recommended categories / tags
- Short blurb on what this is and why it matters.
Note: we are extraordinarily disappointed that our once-proud library has been gathering dust. We will be putting a lot of effort into squaring it away soon. The new "Library" will span a variety of things such as the old Reference Library, Research Links, Reading Lists and add support for new content types. Most new submissions will be updated in our new container and be available when it it made public.
News is mostly published now through the Daily Roundup posts in the SWJ Blog. If you see something we missed, the best way to get the word out now is to:
- Post the item in The Whole News forum in the Small Wars Council discussion board. (free, quick registration required)
Note: we will have a new news format soon, and it will include some functionality for user-submitted news. In the interim, you could also send us a note.
If you have an event of particular interest to the small wars community, we are happy to help get the word out. Please write a concise summary of the event particulars, including addressing why it matters and to whom. Then get the word out by:
- Posting info yourself about the event in the Miscellaneous Goings On forum in the Small Wars Council discussion board. (free, quick registration required)
- Sending us a note for potential highlighting of the event in the SWJ Blog and/or Events Calendar.
Also please consider advertising on Small Wars Journal. We will consider some public service advertising runs for official or non-profit events. Remnant rates are also economical ways to reach our very focused and active audience.
Note: the events calendar is another site area that has grown stale but is being updated. It will include some click-through functionality for your even announcement.